The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2013-01-21

Lace, Lace Baby

lace8
lace4
lace5
lace7
lace1
lace9


Dress? Vintage Victor Costa, thrifted ( Some etsy finds here and here. Also, this VC here is blowing my mind!) 
Clutch? Thrifted Necklace? Antique Avenue Shoes? Lauren Ralph Lauren (here)

I bought this amazing vintage dress about two years ago at Talize. It was $29.99 and I got a 25% discount because there was a hole along the seam and someone had hacked through the neckline and the sleeves. I've already ranted on that before but it never hurts to get repetitive... who cuts into vintage perfection so recklessly? Anyways...
I planned on wearing it to my brother's wedding in Holland two summers back but when I actually read the invitation, I realized it was a beach wedding. Yay for reading comprehension...The following fall I happened to thrift the modern version of this dress. How crazy is that? It's also a Victor Costa lace overlay dress with sheer sleeves... It's a bit more wearable because the silhouette is less dramatic and the back isn't as open, making the bra situation much easier (sidenote: when I wear something with a low back, I use a bra like this. Very handy.). Despite all that, the vintage version takes the cake. The workmanship and the material is way better in the vintage dress. They just don't make them like they used to when I walked uphill to school both ways in 5 feet of snow...

I just spent some time researching Victor Costa and it turns out that this dress is not from the 50's as I originally thought. It's probably from the 70's or 80's but made as a 50's replica. Apparently, Victor Costa was the unapologetic king of knocking off the big designers like Dior and Scassi. At the time, copying haute couture and making them available at reasonable (still high end but obviously not couture) price points was a novel idea. I'm learning...
All that rambling to say that after two years of owning it, I finally fixed the hems and the seams of the dress this weekend a few hours before a wedding we attended. I'm great with a tight deadline. And yes, I felt kind of fabulous. A full lace skirt will have that effect.

34 comments :

Lynette Marie said...

Such a gorgeous silhouette and dress! It really does look expensive. Look at you being so thrifty! :)

Secondhand Stella said...

Gorgeous!!!!

Suzie said...

Stunning!

Catherine said...

Look at you all pretty in lace. Gorgeous as usual!

Rachel Kaylynn said...

Less than $30! Oh my goodness, you got a steal! The dress is gorgeous and looks expensive - fits you wonderfully too.

Sarah said...

Girl. You have got to stop. You just must. Okay, I will legitimately buy this dress from you if you're interested. It's kind of the dress of my dreams and I'm freaking out. FREAKING OUT!!!

Sarah
Wearing It On My Sleeves

Unknown said...

This dress is EVERYTHING, and you look stunning!!!

Louise Mc said...

Wow, that is a beautiful dress. You look gorgeous.

Siena in Style said...

I love your dress!!you look gorgeous!!
kisses from Milano
http://sienastyle.blogspot.it/

Sidewalk Ready said...

ummmm dress perfection. I'm happy to see you were able to restore it. :)

Kayley
sidewalkready.com

Anonymous said...

Lovely, just lovely.

fashioningmylife said...

Very cool look! Have to tried to wear it with red?, a red belt, for example. Just imagining... :-)
Rocío
fashioningmylifeindc.blogspot.com

Amy said...

Wow. This dress is amazing. You look absolutely stunning!

xo Amy
urbanfrill

A Day in the Life of One Girl said...

Perfect outfit. Perfect. Doesn't get any better.

Unknown said...

I am in love with this dress and love how youve styled it! Awesome job with the alterations and Thanks for the tip about the bra!

Anonymous said...

Wow I love it! The dress is so gorgeous and the shoes and ... everything! You look stunning dear!

Cee. ♥

Kastles said...

So you should feel fabulous in that dress! So pretty! you look extra gorgeous in it!
Hope the wedding was fun!
<3 Kastles

amanda said...

wow. that is such a gorgeous dress! and the price?!?! are you kidding?!?! i almost feel bad for the bride at this wedding :)

renae said...

hi Yen! Lovely. This is the type of dress that drives my HM wild. I need to shop for more vintage finds online. This is a great post and you modeled the dress beautifully.

Chilel Aissitou said...

Looking gorgeous! Both dresses are great but I prefer the vintage one. I started loving them ever since I saw Adele rocking them on Award shows. The A line makes them more flattering to my figure as well...But really you are like a victoria's secret model: bravingly posing in this cold weather...hat off to you!

Natalie said...

Words cannot describe how much I love this! As soon as you said Victor Costa, I was hooked...I have a few of his vintage cocktail dresses myself, and I adore them. You look beautiful!

Anja said...

this is the prettiest dress ever! I love it on you and would definitely love to wear one like that. It looks awesome with the leather accessories and it suits you so well, even with those bra issues!

Jennifer said...

Oh wow, so so pretty!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Terri said...

I remember when you first bought that dress and showed it on the blog. It looks AMAZING on you!
http://stylishsass.blogspot.com

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

You look like Grace Kelly in Rear Window - which is the height of compliments (Google it if you haven't seen the movie).

Unknown said...

You look beautiful...
pet meds

Lindsay Newton said...

This dress makes me swoon. If you ever give it up I call first dibs!!

Unknown said...

That dress is AMAZING. Wow. Seriously, words cannot describe how gorgeous that is. I bet whoever hacked it up and donated it is kicking themselves - as they should be.

xoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

Naomi said...

So pretty, and I love it paired with that jacket! New follower!

The Occasional Indulgence

Rebecca Jane said...

So elegant and lovely - that dress looks incredible on you!

Unknown said...

This blog is fucking amazing, And this outfit ofuourse. <3

IF u have any free time please check ut my new blog...:***

Anonymous said...

Wow, stunning dress. I love vintage finds!

Emma said...

Holy crow. Black lace + black leather + rhinestones.

Naaaailed it.

FabEllis said...

Beautiful and I love it paired with the moto jacket!