The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2013-01-03

Beat of My Heart

bestpurse3
bestpurse1
bestpurse2

This vintage bag?
Might just be perfect.

When I see it hanging up in my closet, I get a goofy little smile on my face.The best part is that I used credit to get it at my favourite local consignment store. Never mind, even if I didn't have credit, I would still gladly have paid for it. The best parts of the purse are actually the heart shape, the inlaid mother-of-pearl and that clever clasp; ie. everything. This purse will bring me joy for years...

Have I mentioned I finally found a consignment store in the area that is my perfect match? 
The last time I consigned was two summers ago when I went to Plato's Closet. I wrote about it here but I ended up with a grand total of $17, an empty tank of gas and hurt feelings. I'm mostly kidding about the hurt feelings, though it's hard not to take it personally when the 18 year old sales girl is accepting your old h&m and rejecting your silk pieces as 'not current'. Are you calling me old? Or unfashionable? Either answer is unacceptable... excuse me while I go cry in my truck. 

Anyways, a few months ago I made an appointment to consign at Modify Your Closet and they took all my silk and vintage and only rejected my F21. All is right with the world again. 
And in addition to the fact that they consign my clothes for me at Modify, they also had this treasure sitting in a basket by the cash, still waiting to be priced. I never even gave this hard shell beauty a chance to hit the shelves. 
Because when you fall in love, it should look like this...

bestpurse4

15 comments :

samantha ramage said...

oooh, i want to try consigning!

xo
sami

The Suburb Experiment said...

Oh, man. You are so lucky. My only foray into consigning was a disaster. I regretted bringing in one of the pieces and called the store when I got home. They said they would set it aside and I could come pick it up whenenver. I went back a few days later and the store was closed. Not just for the day but FOREVER. I never got my stuff back OR any money.

It was pretty traumatic. As traumatic as trying to get a few bucks from old clothes can be. :)

Rebecca Jane said...

That is easily the most perfect bag I've seen in ages. Beautiful find!

Jenny said...

I heart this so,so much! You scored huge. This is even better than my prized taxidermy armadillo purse :)

Unknown said...

blessed by the thrifting angels!

Unknown said...

How did you manage to find the thrift score of '13 so soon in January? (Although, I'm sure that it is possible that this is still from 2012).

Either way, this bag is just so adorable!

xoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

myedit said...

Laura- I found it right before Christmas.. so technically it was a last minute entry to the best find of 2012;)

LyddieGal said...

I hate bringing things in for consignment, just because who wants to be judged like that?

who made this sales associate some expert on fashion, fabrics, styles, trends, and brands?

no one. chances are they know little to nothing (which is why I walked out of the store with a neon equipment blouse in perfect condition for less than $20).

so yeah. consignment is no fun.
and your little heart bag is gorgeous.

Chic on the Cheap

Leah said...

That's the best part of finding vintage pieces, they are always so unique. What a great find, and thanks for the consignment tips. I've been wanting to do that with some of my items.

Anonymous said...

When you decide to take the sparkly orange striped dress from your last post to the consignment shop, don't I'll buy it. LOVE IT! ...~Sasha~

Anonymous said...

J-E-A-L-O-U-S. But glad it's being loved by someone who deserves it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh, I completely know what you mean about Plato's Closet and disappointment. They make it seem like you'll come away rich, but I'm pretty sure I made $12 lousy bucks the last time I was there, and they took 80% of what I offered. It gives me great hope that there are more-honest consignment stores out there.

Caitlin
http://re-mix-her.tumblr.com

Anonymous said...

Oh..I can totally, totally understand your excitement at this. I saw this purse and actually yelled "SCORE" out loud. By myself. I'll just leave this here now :)

Anonymous said...

What a Beautiful find! If only that bag could talk.
I've always had good luck with Buffalo Exchange both here in Dallas, and in Houston. They pay cash on the spot, you can opt for store credit. If there are any items they didn't take, there's a bin for Genesis Women's Shelter which you can donate items to. It's the perfect closet clean out
trifecta!
Catherine

myedit said...

Sasha- I don't know where you live but that orange and gold dress is on super sale at Holt Renfrew Last Call in Vaughn... I think it's like $40, down from $400!