The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2012-06-22

Heat Wave

crop5
crop3
crop2
crop4
crop1

Skirt? Ralph Lauren, thrifted Belt? Roots, thrifted Top? Marc Cain, Plato's Closet (similar in orange and black) Sandals? Marc Fisher, Winners Cardigan? Joe Fresh Necklaces? Sparkly one is J. Crew, the rest are thrifted

I think we just broke the heat wave this morning. Which is good because it was getting quite gross and muggy over here. It was so hot that the waist band of my work shorts was wet with sweat everyday.

Now before you think that last statement was just a random and slightly awkward observation, I should clarify that it is actually a thoroughly tested way of noting the temperature. Years ago I ran a landscape crew with two of my closest friends (and yes, let me pause to say that we basically got paid to hang out together for 10+ hours a day and it was a summer of many good memeories... sigh.) and we had a way of determining how hot the day was based on whose waistband was sweaty. We all know that the weather man and the truck thermometers were clearly not to be trusted, but the waistband test was accurate every time. If the one girl's waistband was wet, it was warm outside (yes, she was our sweaty friend), if the other girl's waistband sweated through, it was hot and if my waistband got sweaty, it was time to take water breaks every half hour and ask the ice cream truck to follow us around... in a non creepy way. So, based on our theory, this week was really hot...

And yes, I do kind of feel like I broke girl code by telling that story as blog fodder. But I'm pretty sure we were all pretty proud of our sweaty waistbands. Work hard. Sweat hard. Eat ice cream.

27 comments :

Unknown said...

You in a bustier is hot hot! And I'm glad you speak of sweaty shorts. It's clearly the best way to gauge temperature. I wish I could be more like you and enjoy the outdoors. I don't think I could ever want a yard because I'm too lazy to landscape and do anything that makes me sweat.

Amy @ My Life and Other Nonsense said...

That's hilarious :) Sounds like a good summer. And I love the outfit, especially the shoes.

Anonymous said...

ha! love it. and this. outfit. any girl who wears a bustier top is an A+ in my book. i absolutely love this. it's a bit...boho. which isn't typically your thing. but you're doing it SO WELL. XO

Linda said...

Why must you always look so damn cool?! I love the necklace paired with the top-- they look like they were made for each other.

Kaitlin said...

I love this outfit! The rich combination of colors and the relaxed yet put together feeling is perfect for summer days.

Unknown said...

I LOVE THIS!!!
I was so looking forward to wearing crop tops this season & even had the best abs of my life...and then I peed on a stick (TMI?)and found out I'm going to have to wait till next summer to rock the crop...haha
I do think this is the most perfect top I have seen in forever though...the perfect print and shape!

D said...

Cute outfit! Your sweaty shorts theory seems to work well with my "roller derby practice in a warehouse" observations.

Unknown said...

Love that top and the sexy back.

Natasha Fatah said...

Wow, that's an awesome top!
And I like your mantra. :)

xoxo
~Natasha Fatah~
~Natasha Fatah~

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

that outfit is amazing! i would be way too scared to buy a top like that, but seeing it in your outfit makes me think i need one!

Unknown said...

OMG I love this outfit!! That cropped top is adorable and is so perfect with your skirt!! http://www.natalyascloset.com/

Unknown said...

i LOVE that crop top! so cute!

style-extraordinaire.com

Terri said...

Dude, I hear ya on the whole sweaty waistband thing. I went to a baseball game last night and wore a little sundress to beat the heat. The whole thing was damp with sweat by about half-way through the game.

Oh, and you look fantastic!
http://stylishsass.blogspot.com

immerlight said...

Love your outfit!!! So original!

Welcome to my Giveaway!
http://www.selectivepotential.com/2012/06/velanch-giveaway.html

Anonymous said...

this is my fave outfit of all, you look gorgeous

xoxo
Paula
Blush-paula.blogspot.com

M said...

that bustier!! i'm OBSESSED. the whole look, really, is obsession worthy. and the sweaty waistband test...gross, hilarious.

- Marie
So What If I Like Pretty Things

Jennifer said...

Love the bralette with the maxi skirt!

xo Jennifer

http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

That's a funny way to test the temperature, but having lived in the tropics all my life I do agree with the sweaty waistband gauge. Cute bandeau top. Love the look.

Unknown said...

Haha a funny way to test the temperature ;)... wish it was a little warmer in in Holland though! Love the cropped top, the back is stunning!

x Jony
www.shout-outtoyou.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christen said...

I can't believe you found something so on-trend as that top at Plato's Closet! You look amazing, and make "cropped" look chic. That's a hard, but worthwhile feat!

Ani Barrington said...

This may be one of my favorite outfits of yours. You look amazing!

Melody said...

LOVE the top! You look amazing! I feel your pain with the heat. It's been 100 everyday here in Texas.

Unknown said...

I am REALLY loving this outfit - the colours, the top, everything!

fashionable footprints (blog)
fashionable footprints (facebook)
fashionable footprints (instagram)

compradora anonima said...

the belly thing its not for me but you look great ,love the skirt

yanmaneee said...

kd 12 shoes
jordan 12
lebron james shoes
curry 7 sour patch
a bathing ape
lebron 17
timberland boots
supreme hoodie
kyrie irving shoes
supreme clothing

shesoa said...

replica bags reddit replica bags hermes replica bags cheap