The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2010-09-06

Season's End?

plaid1

plaid3

plaid2

plaid4

plaid5


Jeans? J Brand, Holt Renfrew Last Call
Blazer? Ralph Lauren, thrifted
Sweater? Ralph Lauren, thrifted
Shoes? Aldo, thrifted
Hat? h&m
Bag? Vintage Roots, thrifted
Bracelets? Crazy lady at The Ex and Winners



I nearly left this blazer at the thrift store because I was having hoarding guilt. I usually have inner dialogues as I try to justify yet another article of clothing but this time I got to test a friendship with my outer dialogue, as I explained to my friend why I needed this jacket. I don't remember the exact words but I'm sure it went something like this ... 'It's plaid, it's wool, it's in perfect condition, it's $7, it has suede elbow patches and it has horsey face buttons.' I should have started with the horsey face buttons because that's all it took...


We went to The Ex this weekend and it was a little shock to have to wear pants again. After two dismal summers, we finally had a pretty hot (just right, not too hot) summer and I have taken full advantage, busting out skirts and dresses at every opportunity. You may have noticed...

Then we had a mini cold snap and I put pants on and I get reminded that I have... thighs. Don't judge... you never forget a body part? I like my legs and my waist and I may have shown them off plenty this summer in dresses and putting on pants was an anatomy lesson. I have a waist, legs AND thighs. I may have spent all summer ignoring their existence but it's hard to ignore them now. This isn't a body bashing post... I am generally quite happy with what I have but we all have tripping areas, don't we? I kind of wish it was always warm and I could wear dresses all year and frolic in flowery meadows but then I'd have no use for wool, plaid blazers with horsey face buttons. And that would be a great pity.
P.S. Thanks to Sarah from Wearing it on my Sleeve for featuring me... I divulge one of my more embarrassing moments and discuss what's in my fridge (not a lot sometimes...). Click here to find out more as I make my rounds on the world wide web.

26 comments :

Destrehan's Daughter said...

The buttons would have sold me too. Instantly. It seems like everyone is feeling a bit of cold weather but us really southern us girls. Hasn't stopped me from shopping for wintery stuff though.

The Suburb Experiment said...

I can completely relate! I usually feel hoarding guilt too and put most of my finds back. But my inner dialogue doesn't stop - it keeps telling me about those items I didn't buy until I go back the next day. And they're gone. Then my inner dialogue says how perfect those pieces were and how hoarding guilt is an idiot that we should never listen to. And I agree until I open up the closet to too many clothes (I also have an invisible Etsy shop I can't stop buying for)and cycle begins again. :)

Jenn

eleanor said...

You pull off this masculine look so well! That blazer is amazing.

And I know exactly what you mean, yet it's in summer that I feel more self conscious! Hmm.

X

Elaine said...

You look amazing!!! Love the blazer and shoes.

clothed much, a modest fashion blog

Nadine said...

You're right, that jacket is a total keeper.

I know about the thighs! You just have to be all, 'Thighs, YES INDEEDY, but so what?'

I will wear leggings under dresses for as much of early spring and late autumn as I possibly can, and if I'm honest, I only wear about 20% of my jeans collection all winter long. People who bang on about 'the perfect pair of jeans' just don't know what it's like to have my jean-fitting problems . . .

stylenuggets said...

I got here from Sarah's blog. Glad I did. Great blog and style!

Jodi said...

I had to pull out the full length jeans here too- even on the west coast its rainy and fall weather.. good news: now we can pull out all the funky scarves and layers!!

Great outfit.. To reduce the hoarding guilt I usually try to get rid of one item when I buy a new (used) one, so kind of a 1:1 ratio with incoming/outgoing.. in theory its a good idea :)

20 YORK STREET said...

You've got thrifting super powers J!

Amen...

xoxo,

20 YORK STREET

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

Ah, thighs. This may be why I don't own any pants. Well, I have a couple of pairs of jeans but I am much more inclined to wear a dress or skirt before I even contemplate the jeans.

Sidewalk Chic said...

I love your menswear-inspired look, and I'm glad your inner dialogue allowed you to purchase that blazer!

It's okay, sometimes I forget that I have thighs too, because I wear so many dresses and skirts. It will be very hard to adjust to jeans/pants when it gets colder.

Jennifer said...

I completely agree with you. We all have at least one body part that we aren't happy with. Even if I generally like my body as a whole I am not a big fan of my stomach. I get mistaken for a pregnant woman more often than I would like to admit.

Melissa said...

I am in total awe of this outfit. You look fantastic and I love it on you! I think part of the awe is that I know I could never, ever pull this off. :)

Yeah, I totally forget about my thighs too. It ain't pretty. Last week I wore pants every day as a challenge because I just don't wear them anymore. That was a rude shock back into reality.

Secondhand Stella said...

Love this look! I am glad you bought the blazer. Its not cool enough in Boston for layers yet, but I am looking forward to it.

GFS said...

This jacket would have had me with the elbow patches. SOLD!

heidiluxe said...

the elbow patches! kill me. i feel smarter just looking at them.
and i just read your interview on wearing it on my sleeves and i think my bio would be called the same thing. very funny. or i would call it, alway hungry: a tale of clothes and food.

C said...

Yup, fall reminds us of those body parts that don't appreciate being cased like sausages. Damn you, tights. Anyway, I love this outfit, and OHEMGEE horsey-face buttons!!

Erica said...

There is no way I could have passed up the blazer either!!! Love at first sight!

Morgan and Lua said...

I'm glad it's fall by you because after this outfit I'm really looking forward to fall on your blog. I'm pretty much the opposite of you though, bathing suit season never fails to remind me that I should still be running. Winter is cozy up (and hide) in layers time.

I will take that jacket and will raise you that bag.
Great finds. I'm jealous.

www.morganandlua.blogspot.com
btw...my verification word is "snerds" just thought that was worth sharing.

Laura said...

I'm so glad you got the blazer! It's gorgeous and I love how you styled it :)

L x

kellyroy68 said...

Great stuff!You have a talent to thrift.Live with it !No quilt!!!

WendyB said...

I'm not ready for fall...I'm thinking about what summer dresses I can still wear...I must avert my eyes from your blazer!

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

I love your blazer. "You had me at horse face buttons..." :-) I love your nail polish too.

Great interview. I love your embarrassing moment.

Fia Kilbourn said...

I'm so glad you didn't talk yourself out of this purchase! It's so beautiful. I've been there though. Don't know how many purchases I've talked myself out of only to be still kicking myself years later.

Destined For Now said...

Definitely worth the $7! And the buttons...too cute.

FutureLint said...

Um you did NEEEEED that blazer, it's perfect! I love the menswear inspired look!

Jayme said...

Loving those buttons and the hat! Glad I found your blog