The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2010-02-15

Crush

vday6

vday2

vday5

vday1

vday4

Leather bomber? Zara
Pink dress? Zara
Belt? Taken from another dress
Ring? gifted from Matt
Booties? Max Studio, Winners
Clutch? thrifted

I celebrated Valentines Day by doing two unusual things. I wore a pink dress and I went to an Italian Valentine's Day dance.
About the dress... I feel like pink is finally making its way back into my wardrobe after my overkill of the colour pink in third year university. Just in time too because I had the WORST time trying to figure out what to wear to the dance. I literally have a rolling rack full of just dresses and I could not get my $hit together to save my life. What's that story about a bear (I think) who goes to buy a new hat and each hat is too big, too small, too red, too silly and then he goes home with his old hat because it's perfect? Seriously, I need to know, it's bugging me now... Anyways, that's what it was like getting dressed. Each dress was vetoed because it was too short, too crazy, too tight.... I finally found something that I was OK with and there was a stain on it. At the last minute I grabbed this dress and somehow with the make-up and side swept hair, it worked out. I was on the fence for buying this dress in London at the Zara final sales for 7 pounds but I'm glad I did. There is a new appreciation for some festive pink in my life...

About going to an Italian Valentine's Dinner and Dance... Matt and I are very Dutch but Linda invited us to go to her Dad's Italian club's dinner and dance. Every stereotype you can think of for an Italian evening was there... Matt and I were a head taller than the rest of the room, there were many Tony's and Luigi's present and I pretty much died from Seven Courses of Carb Overload. That's what I like about Matt, we obviously stuck out hard core but he's willing to come along for my friend and still have a great time. From Matt I'm slowly learning not to be so self-conscious and just to have a good time. If you want to see the loveliness that is Linda and I vogueing at the dance check it out here... there's even a picture of Matt and I together (we always forget to do those) and dare I say, he looks like a handsome devil. Well, more handsome than devil...

And because it was a Valentine's Day dance... I wore a ring Matt got me. He bought it years ago for my birthday and I asked him to pick out anything for me in the Winner's jewelry counter because it's all good. When he gave me this, I asked what made him pick that particular ring, he said 'it jumped out at him'. No doubt, the ring has enough bling to lure Mariah Carey over... Ok, the ring is a bit...gaudy... but I like it because it's sparkly (the polite way of saying gaudy, no?) and Matt picked it out himself. Oh, the romance...


vday3

41 comments :

Anonymous said...

Perfect Valentine's outfit! Love the pink with the leather jacket. And I think the sparkly-ness of the ring is a lot of fun--great for the occasion!

liz said...

That dress is so cute, the sleeves are perfect! Very smart in adding "tougher" accessories to something so feminine, I'll have to try that out!
<3

piglet said...

This is a wonderful pink look, I tend to go overboard with pink cupcake cuteness, but I like how you balanced out the pretty with a leather jacket.

Oh, and that bear story is niggling at me too. Damn, it is going to bother me all night now!

Nadine said...

Love the colour of the dress (and I am not into pink AT ALL), and as ever I am consumed with hair envy. Mine looks the same as yours in photos, but there is no way I could ever make mine sit-and-stay like that; it's just too straight. *pout*

Anonymous said...

I've always avoided wearing anything heart-colored on Valentine's. You can say I tend to be a stick in the mud. But to be honest, I've always wanted to do it because it's fun and happy and flirty. Good for you for wearing this vibrant pink dress. It's lovely and I like everything you wore with it, including the ring.

Alex said...

Your hair looks so lovely and casual, yet still dressy here. Jealous!

K said...

I'm pretty sure the bear and hat story was The Berenstein Bears. I think I had it when I was a kid! That pink dress is very pretty and a dance sounds like fun!

Ru said...

Love the ring! Really fun.

Linda said...

what? You no lika de fivea fotta nonna ina de sparle topa? YOU no likea de reda shoesa?

To top it all off my dad was in the mood to rasputin, and he has been doing strengthening exercises so he said it was easier to do.

Secondhand Stella said...

I love the dress! I think the color looks great on you. Also, love what you did w/ your hair. I am so bad at doing my own hair. Its usually down or in a ponytail... those are the only 2 styles I can do :(

Anonymous said...

SIZZLE. The party sounds like a hoot, and I'm so glad you two went!

Kendi Lea said...

Ohhh I really like this outfit. And you can wear pink well, that's a gift my friend. I've never shopped at Zara before but I think I might have to...

em.me.ma said...

cute red dress:) i love how its so simple but looks so amazing :)

Kasmira said...

Love your hair in the little side knot!

Sheila said...

What a cute outfit! I also wore jewelry out last night that my husband got for me. He's half-Italian, so I know what that dance/dinner was like!

Unknown said...

love the contrast of you all dressed up sitting next to the boat docks :)

Celine said...

You look absolutely gorgeous. Honestly, one of my favorite looks of yours. Also, out of curiosity, what lipstick are you wearing? It's great :)

flnw.blogspot.com

Kyla said...

You look so radiant in pink! Your skin is just perfect for it. And I'm loving your hair this way. Sounds like you had a great weekend. Aren't we lucky to find men like that?

Leah said...

Beautiful... perfect for Valentine's day. I love your red dress. Happy Monday! xoxo

Julia said...

Beautiful photos -- the last one especially. That dress is a winner, as is the story about the bear (I've never heard it before -- is it Canadian, haha?) Oh, you're not literally Dutch, are you? I mean, cause if you are, that's cool -- my man is so Dutch it hurts! :)

Anyway, you look lovely in that color.

Tabitha said...

I love this shade of pink on you and I'm glad it's making its way back into your closet.

I love that you met many Tony's and Luigi's. Sounds like a fun night!...and your ring is amazing. Good job hubby!

AsianCajuns said...

I. Love. That. Dress. You look fantastic in it. The cut makes the pink less sweet, so it's a perfect balance. Sounds like you had a fantastic valentine's day.

Healthy and Homemade said...

You look gorgeous! Perfect for a Valentines event =) loving the pink on you. I just started buying the color again after years of not having any in my closet.

Tieka, Selective Potential said...

Ughasdf! This is soo pretty! I love the first and last photo so much!

Christen said...

Definitely glad you got this dress because it's perfect on you. The sleeves are divine! And I'm glad you guys had a fun time. I LOVE my Italian friends - they know how to throw a party!

C said...

Wow, Yen. That dress is just beyond stunning on you. It looks superb, and all the little details make it so special! And as for Italians; we're an amazing people. :)

Fabulocity in Amish Country said...

You look amazing in this outfit!! The perfect Vday outfit! Good choice! :) I'm so jealous that ya'll went to a Vday ITALIAN dinner dance!! I'm Italian... and I can totally imagine how the night went! lol

my healthy twist said...

Wow, you look gorgeous (as usual) I LOVE this outfit, and your hair is so pretty! xoxo

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

i know EXACTLY how you feel about getting dressed sometimes. you try on everything in your closet and end up wearing the first thing you thought of. i think the pink looks amazing on you here and i am plotting to steal your awesome side-bun-thing as soon as possible.

Lou said...

Beautiful! And your hair is just so pretty! No matter what i do mine always just looks messy! Thank you for your lovely comment. I'm adding you to my favs right now.

Academichic said...

Ok, I'll join the chorus here in saying: perfect dress, perfect date, perfect rendition of it on this blog... and I even love the "gaudy" ring. ;) Sounds like a great Valentine's Day! S

Raquelita said...

You look absolutely gorgeous! I really love how you styled your hair.

Danielle said...

GORGEOUS!!! Love your hair like that, and am loving those tires!!!

Tiny Quirks said...

very very cute, but where are you? aha

FutureLint said...

I like the cut of the dress, especially belted! What a cool location to shoot in a fun dress too - the contrast is so neat!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

OOOO, I like that little bun. and everything else, obviously.

Ms. Falcon said...

beautiful dress... your hear looks so pretty. that bun is really cute...

xx

http://www.wardrobexperience.blogspot.com/

The Village Idiot said...

very pretty!!! love how the belt is not "perfect"- it gives this sweet look some edge.

What we four say said...

Seeing all your photos with the snow and pretty dresses really makes me miss real winters. I wanted to say thanks to you for stopping by my blog! I'm glad to have found yours as well! :)

Durham said...

You are so pretty. That dress looks great on you!

Marie McGrath (The Joy of Fashion) said...

You look so stylish and beautiful. This color looks awesome on you.

www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com